Friday, November 14, 2008

UFO Over Walmart in Vidalia, Georgia

My readers probably realize I grew up in South Georgia, Montgomery County to be exact. The city of Vidalia spills over the Montgomery County line just a bit. But the city is mainly in Toombs County. It is most famous as the home of the Vidalia Sweet Onion.

When I was a junior in high school, I remember hearing and reading about the sighting of UFOs above the local Wal-Mart store in Vidalia. As a matter of fact, I had worked at that store just a few months prior to the sighting of these flying objects. I worked in that store during the Christmas holiday in December 1990. The sighting happened February 16, 1991. I returned to work there in the summer of 1991.
So, I guess I just barely missed out on all the excitement.

The sightings took place, as I mentioned above, on February 16, 1991, and from what I can find, most of the activity took place over that Wal-Mart store on Highway 280 East headed toward the town of Lyons. The story reported that the local radio station, which in my guess would have been the local station 98Q, received over 30 calls about the strange silver disks that had red and white lights. It was reported that some think the objects were flying from Hazlehurst to Vidalia. One man reported that one of the four objects hovered over his car, making the car stall. The vehicle would only restart after the objects flew away.

As far as I know, there were never any reports of missing persons or animals associated with these sightings. The report I read stated that one police officer observed the flying disks, and his name was listed as Lt. P. McNeese. No other reports were noted immediately before these sightings in the area.

Perhaps visitors from another planet had heard how tasty our onions were down in Vidalia and just wanted to check on how to get a ten pound bag???

1 comment:

Sparky said...

There is a lot of drug use in Vidalia now with all the free-flow of onion money ...

No, no, that was just me! I really should slow down on my motorcycle more. [tee hee] ♥ ∞